Follow Us!

Call Today! Se Habla Español 

Houston Paternity Lawyer 

Our office represents mothers, fathers, grandparents, and others, in paternity cases. We encourage you to seek legal advice to protect your rights and avoid any unexpected issues during the legal process. 

There are various types of testing to establish paternity depending on the circumstances surrounding the case. Here are some of the most common types of paternity testing available in Texas:

  • Spit-Swab Samples
  • Blood Samples
  • Hair Follicles 

Refer to our Resources page to obtain information on different services for paternity testing. 


Can the parents voluntarily agree to establish paternity?

Yes, paternity can be established voluntarily through an agreement between the mother and father of the child. The parents will sign and file an Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP) with the Texas Vital Statistic Unit. This method should only be used if the mother and father are sure that the father is the child's father because once the father signs the AOP he is legally the child's father, and he will be responsible for the child. The AOP can be completed at a certified entity. 

What if the father does not know for sure whether the child is his?

The father should file a suit in court to establish paternity, and ask for DNA testing.

What if the mother was married to someone else when the child was born, or within 300 days after the mother gets a divorce?

In this case, the mother's husband or recently ex-husband is the presumed father according to the law in Texas. The biological father of the child cannot sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity (AOP) without the presumed father first signing a Denial of Paternity. If the presumed father does not want to sign the Denial of Paternity then the biological father can file a paternity case. The presumed father can also file a paternity case if the biological father does not sign the AOP. 

Discuss your paternity options in a confidential consultation with an attorney in our office.

Contact us by email or call us at 832-844-1677. ​​​​