Follow Us!

Call Today! Se Habla Español 

Houston Name Change Lawyer 

Our office helps children and adults change their name whether the reason is because of an adoption or a divorce.

Name Change: Adoption 

After a child or an adult is adopted, the family may decide to change the adopted family member's last name. 

A name change can also be requested if a child was not legally adopted by a step-parent, but the family agrees that the child's last name should be changed

Name Change: Divorce

Sometimes women do not request a name change back to their maiden name before their divorce is finalized. However, a woman has not completely lost the opportunity to change her name because she can file a petition for a name change.  


What information will need to be supplied to obtain a name change?

Your current place of residence, the reason for your name change, if you are an adult, whether or not you have ever had a criminal charge and/or conviction, gender, race, date of birth, driver license numbers, your social security number, and your fingerprint card. 

Where can I go to get my fingerprint card?

You can visit your local sheriff's office, a Texas Department of Public Safety office, or a Federal Bureau. There will be a fee for this service. 

Will the child have to provide written consent to the name change?

Possibly, depending on the age of the child. The court will determine whether the name change is in the child's best interest. 

What will I use to show the Social Security Office that my name is changed?

You will show a certified court order awarding your name change as proof that your name is change. You will show the certified order to change your name on your driver license, bank account, and etc. 

Discuss your name change options in a confidential consultation with an attorney in our office. Contact us by email or call us at 832-844-1677.